Monday, July 28, 2014

Milky Friends and Bonds for a Lifetime: A Breastfeeding Carnival Post Day 11

breastfeedingcafecarnival 
Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival! This post was written as part of the Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about the long-term benefits of breastfeeding. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 18th-31st!

We all know about the health benefits for mom and baby when you breastfeed.  I love those benefits but a benefit I didn't even know about at first has become a wonderful benefit that has become my favorite--lifetime bonds.  I don't just mean the bonds with your baby (but those are super important) but the connections I have made with other mothers through breastfeeding.

When I attended my first LLL meeting I knew things were different.  I have made several friends through LLL because we're in similar situations even if it's just breastfeeding a baby and lifting each other up through that special time in our lives.  I still keep in contact with LLL friends (leaders and members) I met 5 and 6 years ago.  I have made a lot of local friends here in Oregon through LLL.

I also have had the opportunity to make friends with the ladies that I've donated my extra milk to for their babies.  We may have far different beliefs in other areas but we remain friends and come together because of the special relationship we have formed.

I look forward to the future even after I am no longer breastfeeding because I will be able to continue to create those bonds with other women through being a LLL leader and someday an IBCLC.  Breastfeeding creates bonds for a lifetime, not just with your children, but with other wonderful women.

Here are more posts by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment